ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

AA milesavers flights in late July?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Finq, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Finq

Finq Reader

Hi, I'm trying to book flight from HKG to LAX in late July with miles and saw flights going for 85k miles instead of the usual milesaver price of 35k. I heard more award seats are released one week before departure, do you think i would have a chance of booking the same flight in late July for 35k miles (that goes for 85k now) or is 85k simply the market price for flying in popular season like late July? thanks!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

35K miles is what AA charges on their own planes. For partner airlines (like Cathay Pacific) it's 37.5K using AA miles. Of course that's only if you can find award space.

AA in general is pretty bad about opening up award space on their own planes and, as you point out, late July is a very popular travel time.

Maybe @Tiffany or others can speak to whether or not AA typically opens up last minute space or not.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

You can use BA's website to check for space on Cathay and if you find space, call AA to book. Personally, I'd prefer to pay 37.5k to fly on Cathay than 35k on AA.

Tiffany likes this.
  4. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

AA is terrible at opening any space up as of late, including last minute. It's super embarrassing (or should be).