ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Advice - when to start applying for premium cards?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Luist, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Luist

Luist New Member

Hi All,

My wife and I recently moved to the US (about 6 months ago). We've established a credit rating by using the Amex Global transfer to obtain the Amex SPG card.

What I'd like to know is at what point can we start looking at applying for some of the premium cards (CSR or Amex Plat)? My understanding is that approval is judged on several factors with the length of credit histroy being one of them.

Is there a minimum time we should wait? I don't want to apply and get rejected if there's no chance of approval.

Thanks! :)

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

There's no minimum time but I'd probably start with some no-fee cards whose points can be combined with premium versions of the points.

Chase Freedom, Freedom Unlimited
    Amex Every Day/ Everyday Preferred

They're easier to get and with no annual fee, you can keep the cards for a long time to help build history. Maybe 6 or so months after that you can apply for more premium cards.

MidSouth Skier likes this.