ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption American AAnytime vs MileSAAver Awards

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Jonathan1, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jonathan1

Jonathan1 Reader

How would you determine whether to redeem an American AAnytime award when there are no MileSAAver awards?

BACKKGROUND: I need two one-way Business Class or higher tickets coming back from London(LHR) to Los Angeles(LAX) on a Sunday in the month of June 2018. I have the reward seats on American's partner Iberia going to Europe. American is just not releasing premium MileSAAver awards and their award search engine is actually mixing multiple cabins. I've had ExpertFlyer checking, multiple airlines, for the last six months. I'm wondering if I should just redeem the American AAnytime award (270,000 miles) since the MileSAAver award (115,000 miles) is not available for the same seats.

Thank you for any suggestions!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

If your need is immutable then you'd just have to pay the asking rate. I agree that the chances of AA releasing space is rare but you could keep monitoring and pay change/redeposit fees to book the cheaper award. Do you have access to any other mileage currencies that might offer other options?

3. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I run into this all the time as I don't live in an AA hub. On my big trip for 2018 I've got Iberia tickets to/from Europe but with Chicago as the starting/ending point. I'm going to have to just buy a positioning ticket unless AA opens up some saver space that I'll just book with Avios.

You don't mention if you're looking for flights other than directly back to LA. Yes it would be very convenient to have that but if you could connect in Chicago or Philadelphia you might find availability even if it means purchasing the last leg home with cash.

Gia likes this.