ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Are British Airways Avios generally useless? Should I be earning AA miles instead?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by CLH, Oct 5, 2015.

1. CLH

CLH New Member

@Gaurav - thanks - I will look at the Arrival+ and Alaska cards and compare to buying the tickets with cash versus miles. If I can get the same tickets for half the price, it would indeed change the math for me and I'd pay cash rather than MR points.

2. CLH

CLH New Member

Ok - I just read Tiffany's posts about redeeming Virgin Atlantic miles to flying Virgin America and wonder if someone can tell me if this would work:

Convert 150k MR points to Virgin Atlantic miles to buy 2 first class tickets SFO-OGG on Virgin America.
    Convert 40k MR points to Virgin Atlantic miles to buy 2 economy tickets DFW-SFO on Virgin America.

If I understand correctly, buying tickets from DFW-OGG would be 150k per ticket i.e. 300k total and I don't have the MR points for that. But from the west coast, they are only 75k per ticket. So buying the DFW-SFO tickets separately saves me a lot of points - according to the chart here http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en/flying-club/flying-club-partners/airlines/virgin-america.html DFW-SFO in Main Cabin Select is only 20k round trip.

This sounds like a way to get them most of the way (they would still have to buy OGG-LIH tix) on the same airline, even though half the journey would be in economy and half in first.

Am I missing something or making incorrect assumptions?

3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

I don't think tickets from DFW would be 150k each, that's just the price from New York. I think it would be 110k each (but not positive).

Either way, you can call Virgin Atlantic and put the tickets on hold before you transfer points. You can also buy a few Amex points during the transfer for 2.5¢ each if you need.

4. CLH

CLH New Member

Woohoo! I did it - I booked 2 first class tickets to Hawaii. Not on Virgin - I called Virgin Atlantic and they told me they could not book Virgin America tickets to Maui because the route hasn't started yet and therefore isn't in their system (even though tickets already for sale on Virgin America site). The rep was really kind and tried to help me find a way to book the tickets using Virgin miles, but there was no way to make it happen without a really awkward connection, an extra night in SFO and still paying for intra-island flights.

But, I found a few extra Delta Skymiles hiding in my account (which doesn't show up in Award Wallet so I didn't realize they were there). And my last round of MR points posted, plus the lovebirds were able to shift their dates by 1 day to fly on Sunday 17th, so I was able to buy two tickets at 110k each, total 220k Skymiles for the two tickets which are DFW-LAX-LIH. Only one connection is pretty nice and not having to purchase extra flights is worth it.

I realize it's probably not the best value anyone ever achieved with MR points, but my sister and her fiancé are thrilled, and I'm so happy I could give this to them.

Thanks again for all of the tips and suggestions and encouragement. Now I think I'm off to apply for a Citi Thank You card, since I clearly need to earn some more points.

MidSouth Skier and Kiwi Ian like this.
  5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Glad it worked to everyone's satisfaction! :)

6. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Good to hear it all worked out in the end CLH.

7. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Sometimes the best redemption is the one that gets you (or people you love) where you want to go at the time you want. Glad this worked out!