ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating Best biz class seats on Austrian 777-200? Throne?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by SeattleTodd, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Hello!

I'd really love some advice choosing seats for 2 of us in biz class on an Austrian 777-200 VIE-->LAX.

Are the throne seats worth it for $225 per person (it's a 12.5 hour flight...)

I know they're not ideal for 2 people traveling together, but are they better enough than the other options to make it worth paying for them and sitting apart?

For the thrones, would you take 1A/1K or 1A/3A or 3A/5A? I've read the bulkheads have a little more legroom, and I'm wondering if they lack the feet-stuffed-into-the-cubicle problem when lying flat the same way Singapore's bulkhead business class seats do on the A350. SeatGuru warns about lavatory/galley proximity for the bulkheads, but some comments seem to suggest that really isn't a problem. Thoughts?

Otherwise, I assume 2 middle seats are better to have wider armrests and direct aisle access for both of us. Right?

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Best,
    Todd

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

$550 for seat selection is ridiculous and do you really want to sit far apart when traveling with someone? I wouldnt...

3. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Thanks, David -- I get your point. It'd be $450 not $550, but you still make a good point. But I would say it's not just for seat selection, but possibly for a better seat -- that was the purpose of my question.

Plus, on our particular flight, it looks like 1 seat is occupied in each of the first four rows of middle seats, so the first row we could sit in together would be row 5.

Wondering if that would pose any issues with them running out of certain meals by the time they get to. us...

4. David W

LOL sorry. I can't math properly sometimes. Oops

I don't think it's worth it - I doubt the seat is that much better and it also depends on each individual. I always hear that the throne seats have a smaller foot space. I always want to be closer to whoever I'm flying even if it means that I'm not in the best seat.

What I would do is try to get middle seats in the rear cabin - less foot traffic during the flight.

If you're worried about running out of food, maybe try to tell the FA what you want at the beginning of the flight? Plus, some airlines may start service from back to front.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Thanks, David. What did you mean by "men" cabin? Did you mean the second business class cabin that just has 3 rows?

Also, one of the questions I had about the bulkhead thrones -- and the bulkhead in general -- is precisely the foot room. With no seats in front, wouldn't the foot room be better? I was wondering if this is similar to what Lucky and others have reported about Singapore's business seats on the A350 -- get the bulkhead row because there's no cubby for your feet to have to fit into.

Does that change anything for you?

6. David W

Yeah, I meant rear cabin.

I'm not sure of how the bulkhead seat is setup so it may still be a cubby and not additional space. I feel like it would have been mentioned more prominently on blogs and reviews if bulkhead seats had more legroom like SQ.

If that was the case though, you'd still be on opposite sides of the cabin and you can't eat together or talk. You're paying to be separated!