ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Can the $100 credit on the AmEx PRG be used to buy AA miles?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Weymar Osborne, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Weymar Osborne

Weymar Osborne New Member

I just received a targeted offer via e-mail for the AmEx PRG card: 50,000 miles for $2000/3 months. (Separate question, would you jump on this offer or is there merit in waiting for a 75,000 or even 100,000 point bonus?) This card has been on my radar for a while but I was hesitant to pull the trigger because I feel like I wouldn't be able to get much value out of the airline fee credit. I primarily fly United, and because I'm a Star Alliance Gold (earned through a program other than MileagePlus) I get a free checked bag and lounge access anyway. I know many people report being able to use the credit on gift cards even though that isn't technically included in AmEx's definition of "fee". That just seems a little boring to me though. That's why I was wondering if it's possible to buy AAdvantage miles with the card and have it reimbursed. Buying miles is another thing that is technically excluded in AmEx's fine print, but since they don't enforce it too much on gift cards, I would hope they wouldn't with mileage purchases either. Since AA processes mileage purchases directly rather than through points.com, I would hope AA's merchant code would be enough to trigger the credit. Has anyone ever tried doing this?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Rob in Miami likes this.