ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Cancelling credit card after airline ticket purchase

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Vijay, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Vijay

Vijay Reader

Hi -

I've been planning to cancel my united club card (450$ annual fee) prior to its expiry next spring. I have accumulated a few other cards including amex platinum and don't think its worth it paying so many $ in fees.

When i purchase united tickets or even united awards with the card, I get free bags and premier access. I was planning on buying united for some upcoming trips which would occur after the cancellation. Do you think I will still get those benefits if the card is no longer active at the time of check in?

2. Gia

Gia Active Member

In my experience with other cards, once they are cancelled the benefits end, even for future trips purchased with the card.

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Gia's right. When you cancel, UA would be notified that your no longer a card member and those benefits go away.