ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Chase Ultimate Rewards Points - trapped!

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Delphine, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Delphine

Delphine Reader

I cancelled my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to keep my amex platinum, and didn't transfer my Chase UR points out. Now, because I only have a Chase Freedom (non premium card) I'm unable to transfer my points (nearly 150,000) to a travel partner. Is there any way around to get my points transferred to an airline partner without a premium card? I feel like they are being held hostage and I don't want to book travel through the Chase Portal. Any help or suggestions welcome!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

You need to have a premium Chase UR card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, Ink Business Preferred) in order to transfer points out to a travel partner.

If you dont have the Sapphire Preferred or Ink cards and would be eligible to apply and receive the bonus - i recommend applying for it, getting the bonus and then transferring the points out a year later before canceling the card.

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Or you could upgrade the Freedom to a Sapphire card, transfer the points out and then downgrade. If you go this route, I'd wait a month or two to downgrade.

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member