ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries Cheapest Delta Segment

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by GAA, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GAA

GAA Reader

Hi Lucky,

I'm very close to the next tier of Delta status and only need 96 MQMs by the end of the year that I haven't scheduled yet. I'm looking for the absolute cheapest segment in the world since the min MQM is already 500 for any segment. Any ideas of what could possibly be the cheapest segment out there?

Best,
    GAA

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Where are you based? I feel like that matters more, as it isn't really practical to book a cheap flight from like, Hanoi to Hue given the positioning costs from Albany or something.

rickyw likes this.
  3. J__912

J__912 New Member

Boston based. Do I need to fly the segment to get the MQMs? Will Delta still let you purchase MQMs?

4. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

You do have to fly the segment to get the MQMs.

You typically can't buy them, though they typically run a very poor-value promotion to earn the next status level. I'd probably use Google Flights to find a cheap flight, or just see how your travel shakes out over the next few months. It might also make sense to just roll the miles over for next years qualification (assuming you're at least Silver already).

5. J__912

J__912 New Member

That's a good point, the silver to gold jump isn't that significant so rolling over might make the most sense. Thank you for the replies!