ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Combining a paid etihad flight with an award

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Mick, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Mick

Mick Member

HI All! Is it possible to pay for an etihad flight from ORD to Abu Dhabi to connect with an AA redemption on Etihad to Australia? Will I have any security if my first flight is delayed? Ill have a 3hr connection. Thanks!!!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

It's not possible to get that on one PNR so you would not be protected if your first flight was late. I've done that sort of thing on positioning flights when connecting to international legs but always leave oodles of time in case something goes wrong.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. Mick

Mick Member

Thanks MidSouth. Always helpful as per usual!!

My flight would leave Ord on Wednesday 19th dec and land in AUH on Thursday 20th at 745pm. Next flight to sydney is in apartments that night at 1030pm. Eek. Winter weather in Chicago....

The first flight would be paid economy. The second is an American award. I actually have a booking for Saturday night to Sydney too. Maybe I’ll just keep that as insurance and cancel it if I get the Thursday flight. Maybe etihad will squeeze me on to one of the flights in the interim.

4. Mick

Mick Member

Sorry to rehash this. If I am late departing ohare and it looks like I’ll miss my Thursday flight to Sydney is there anyway to cancel it onboard ? How much notice would I have to give to American? Can you no show with American and get the points refunded?

5. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Member

Hi Mick - I think if you cancel before the flight departs (so right up to D0) you can get your miles back. I believe that until recently you could no-show and get your miles back, but pretty sure that has been changed. I just recently cancelled an award ticket (for a friend) the day of travel (12 hours before) and I asked AA how late I could put off the decision and was told "up until departure."

[Edit] Just looked on AA's website - see this:
    Reinstating flight awards
    Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.
    • You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired. For tickets booked on or after November 1, 2018, you can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket if your reservation is canceled prior to departure and if the ticket has not expired.
    • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket.
    • This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Mick

Mick Member

Thanks so much for the reply. After I read this I reached out to American and they said they would refund the miles even if plane had taken off!

MidSouth Skier and OCTinPHL like this.