ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. SamJess

SamJess New Member

Hi,
    Can I make a booking on hold from U.S call center - and then add a segmanet form AUS call center - since the U.S call center dont see availability ?

I have a reservation BAH-AUH-DFW
    I was able to make a hold on AUH-DFW on C from U.S call center, but they dont see any availability from BAH-AUH. I suspect Australia call center may be able to do so ...

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Should be fine, give AA Aus a call. If they cant modify your reservation, have them create a whole new one, assuming space is still there.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Hi,

First of all thanks for all the great support and help I get here.

I would have two questions.
    - Is it correct that flying Etihad from SIN to SFO or LAX would require me to book two award tickets on AA as they only allow pacific crossing for Asia to US?
    - Is it possible to change or cancel a partner award ticket on the same rules and fees?

Regards,

Geoff

4. David W

Yes, EY SIN-AUH-LAX/SFO will prices as 2 awards on AAdvantage.

You can change a partner ticket but fees may apply if you change the mix of airlines or origin/destination. Do you have an example of what changes you would want to make?

5. Geoff

Geoff New Member

For work reasons I might have to change my trip between now and then.
    I might even have to change the destination.
    If there's no availability on the new date but there is on another carrier, can you make these kind of changes? (respecting rules and fees)

6. David W

Changes shouldnt be a prob but just know that fees might kick in, and maybe a reprice of the award, if you booked it before devaluation. Can you provide further info, like carrier and routing of the existing booking and possible changes?

7. Filip

Filip New Member

Hello, I just tried to change just dates of my award flight from Australia to Dubai and I was told that even date change now triggers re-price so it would cost me 80K instead of 45K as charged originally. Call agent confirmed there is a change in the policy. Is that right or am I missing something. Please help, because I have AUH-SYD booked on 777 for now and want to change to A380 closer to departure and this would be an issue. Thank you

UPDATE: Just called AA again and since I made one change in June, second change sees the ticket as issued after devaluation, hence the reprice. All clear now :(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. David W

Try calling again? Not all agents have the right information. Unless you're changing the airline, origin, destination, or class of service, it shouldn't reprice. If the agent is correct and that is the new policy, it really sucks.

Maybe @Tiffany can find out more?

9. Filip

Filip New Member

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. However I called again and the fact is that there is no new policy, but once you change your itinerary once, exchanged itinerary is then issued with current date (post-devaluation) hence all subsequent changes are according to new prices. In other words, you can change only once. :(

10. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I'm sure an official policy change would have been very widely circulated online so I would still suspect these are agents who are providing misinformation. I would try one more time at least. Do not mention anything about the policy change, just call in like you normally would and request the change.

Tiffany likes this.
  11. Barry

Barry New Member

Hi,

I just tried looking for a flight from LONDON to SYD using AA on Etihad. I see the flight on guest but the US nor Australia call in center was able to see it. Did something change?

12. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Not that has been publicized. Did you try to call the Australian center again?

13. Barry

Barry New Member

just once, should i try again?

14. Barry

Barry New Member

Still don't see anything. Do you have any suggestions? Its available on Guest but not showing on AA

15. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

EY availability never shows on AA. You have to call Australia for someone to see and book it after searching on the EY website. I would call a couple more times to verify that the agents are not making a mistake. If a few of them can't see it you might have to find another date.

16. Barry

Barry New Member

called australia, they said nothing in month of August for etihad. Really strange

17. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Sometimes the Etihad website lies if you look at connecting routes. You need to make sure space is available for both LHR-AUH and AUH-SYD separately, and ask the agents for those specific flights.

18. nevek

nevek New Member

Hi I have a flight booked with AA on an EY flight which is prone to schedule changes, often changing up to 5-6 times before departure.
    These changes are only for 5min but nevertheless every time the schedule changes the AA award will be reticketed and the seating reservations will be deleted.
    Is there any possibility to somehow preserve the seating reservations?

19. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@nevek -- Hi, and welcome!

Unfortunately not that I know of. Super annoying.

20. Bill N

Bill N New Member

Trying to book a flight on Etihad using AA miles. AA-Australia can't see the availability. Since you need 115K AA miles anyway, is there a disadvantage of transferring TY Points or Membership Rewards directly to Etihad and book the trip that way?