ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Well, if you book with EY miles, it can be more or less than 115k miles depending on the routing. You will receive EY chauffeur service if using EY Guest miles though. Partner awards (ie booked using AA miles) is ineligible for chauffeur service if tickets are issued or reissued after 8/10/16

2. Bill N

Bill N New Member

Thanks David. The route is JFK-AUH. The pricing is coming up as 117,700 Etihad miles vs 115K AA miles. It may be worth it to have the chauffeur service and not have to deal with AA not seeing the flight. I may have to book a separate flight from to get from my hometown to JFK though.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

The surcharges might be a little higher but other than that there shouldn't be any downside. I'm not sure how EY handles changes to dates etc so might be worthwhile to check on that. Have you tried calling Australia a couple of times to see if they see seats?

4. Bill N

Bill N New Member

I called a couple of times today and in both cases they couldn't see the availability. I may wait a few more days to see if that changes. I have time, but it would be nice to get things nailed down.

5. TravelinWilly

TravelinWilly New Member

I'm having trouble booking two first tix SYD-AUH-IAD. Etihad website shows two saver first tix available SYD (A380) AUH (787) IAD, however when I call the US number, they say nothing is available.

When I call Australia, they say there's no availability for that routing on the date I choose (and Etihad's site is showing WIDE OPEN availability for two seats in saver first for weeks on end SYD-IAD), but they do show the sector SYD-AUH available on the 777. I didn't ask about the AUH-IAD one-way, as my hope is to minimize the connection time in AUH (the A380 has a five-hour connection to the IAD flight).

So I'm not sure what's happening with AA award booking for EY.

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

TravelinWilly likes this.
  7. Filip

Filip New Member

@TravelinWilly I think you need to try book it segment by segment. Try it.

8. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Make sure it's available if you look segment-by-segment, as sometimes Etihad will show a false-positive if there's only space on one segment. If Australia can't see the space, try another call center, possibly Hong Kong.

9. TravelinWilly

TravelinWilly New Member

Thank you Guarav, Filip, and Tiffany, I'll give it a try when I have some time.

I really appreciate how quickly people jump in to help here, I'll report back on what I find!

TW

10. Justyna

Justyna New Member

Hi ! Is it still possible to book Europe-Sydney in first class as one award (115k) instead of paying 162?

11. Justyna

Justyna New Member

To precise my question the Agent sees availability for the whole route but they proce it as two separate awards- was it always the case?

12. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

TravelinWilly and Tiffany like this.
  13. William12

William12 New Member

Hi. I'm wondering if its possible to book Etihad First for JFK-SIN via AUH and how many miles would that take? AA award charts shows Lower 48 to Asia 2 (Singapore) is 115000 for one way F. Is that true? Thanks!

14. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

With AA miles, flying North America-Asia must be done via the Pacific for it to be a single award. What you're proposing would cost two awards: JFK-AUH (115K in F) and AUH-SIN (50K in F). So 165K each way in First.

Jacob McCarthy and TravelinWilly like this.
  15. William12

William12 New Member

Ahh so i have to find award availability for 2 segments and have it align. that makes it harder. Thanks for the info! Can i still book it into a single ticket with the price of 2 awards or does it have to be 2 separate awards? Thanks!

16. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I've never done this so am not sure. Hopefully someone can chime in here.

17. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

I've never tried this before, but what I have succesfully done before over phone was a sAAver award + a normal cash fare.

18. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

It can be a single ticket for the price of two awards :)

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  19. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@William12 In my experience, SIN-AUH in F has plenty of award space, usually 2 seats per flight. I'd expect the same great availability for AUH-SIN. JFK-AUH is much, much harder. I'd focus on getting a seat on that flight first.

20. MikeB

MikeB New Member

I know that AA's award availability for EY First class space doesn't always match what shows up as available via Etihad's Guest Saver awards, but I've recently experienced more and more examples where EY shows a lot of space and/or space on the same flight over a series of days...and AA sees zero. I've tried HUCA, but got the same results. Just curious if this is a trend or maybe I've just been lucky in the past.

mike