ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Do you pay your income tax with a credit card?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Dan2, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

Given the time of year, I’m interested in finding out if you pay your income taxes (state and/or federal) with a credit card for the miles or points. Realizing that to pay these taxes, there is a % fee involved, I am interested in hearing your calculus as to why you do or don’t pay your taxes this way.

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

No Name likes this.
  3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

4. lkar

lkar New Member

I pay estimated taxes with my Barclays AA card to get the EQM and EQD. I pay about 1.9 percent and value the AA mikes around 1.15 cents, so I'm paying about $575 net for 10,000 EQM and $6,000 EQD. A bit cheaper than a mileage run and I stay at home.

I do think, though, you also should factor in the opportunity costs. I could instead put $50k on my Amex blue business and earn 100,000 MR, which I value around $1,700, for a net of about $800 above the service charge. So, you probably could argue that I'm paying about $1400 for the EQM and EQD.

rickyw likes this.