ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Industry News / Opinions DOT 24 Hrs cancellation Rule - Ticket has to be issued in US?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by DYL, Dec 23, 2017.

1. DYL

DYL New Member

Hi Lucky and OMAAT team,

I have an one-way ticket with Asiana airlines from PEK to HNL booked in the past 24 hours. I was trying to cancel it hoping the DOT 24 hours free cancellation rule applies here. However, the US reservation center agent told me that the rule only applies if the ticket is issued in the US.

In this case, because the origin country is in China, their website automatically routed me to their Chinese website and the ticket is issued in China ticketing office, so they will not honor the 24 hours free cancellation rule.

Does this sound right to you? Thanks!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

3. DYL

DYL New Member

Rickyw, thanks for the link to the DOT document.

My trip is for a Jan 6th departure. It was ticketed early morning hour local time in China on 12/23 and I spoke to Asiana's Chinese reservation center about cancellation around 3pm local time in China on 12/23.

Asiana US reservation center this morning told me to cancel the ticket knowing a penalty will be applied and send a complaint message through their website with all the information of the communication took place. Their corporate headquarter will look into it....

Finger crossed that they will realize the correct way to apply the DOT rule.... otherwise, Lucky's post last week re how to file a DOT complaint will come handy :)

Thanks again for your help!

Gaurav and rickyw like this.