ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Earning United PQM when not flying United

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Joseph Mina, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Joseph Mina

Joseph Mina New Member

I moved recently to Cape Town, South Africa. Previously I lived in Hawaii. Twice a year I fly to Japan for business. From South Africa, the most direct route to Tokyo is via South African Airlines from Jo'burg to Hong Kong, then ANA from Hong Kong to Tokyo (both Star Alliance members). On these flights I would fly Business Class. If I use my Mileage Plus number when booking the ticket, will those miles qualify for United PQM?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Yes, for South African as long as you are in fare class: J, C, Z, D then you'd earn 100% PQM.

For ANA: J, Z, P, C, D then you'd earn 200-300% PQM

Joseph Mina and Tiffany like this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Also, if you are still trying to obtain United status while living overseas, then you should make sure to change your mailing address. If you live abroad, the PQD $$$ requirement is waived.

You'd still need to fly at least 4 segments on United metal, though.

Joseph Mina likes this.
  4. Joseph Mina

Joseph Mina New Member

Thanks. I flew this route in October earning SAA miles. Would I be able to switch the miles earned to United post flight?
    Yes...in the process of doing so...despite SA's slooowww pace. Also, the SAA Business class tx to Japan I bought/used this past October had the mileage going to my SAA Voyager a/c, which heretofore had no mileage accumulation. Going to call SAA tomorrow and see if they'll reassign the mileage to United. Fingers crossed. If they do so, I'll retain my United 1K status in 2018.

5. Joseph Mina

Joseph Mina New Member

United's SAA page indicates I'd get 125% mileage for Class C/D/Z. ANA, which is Z class, would be 250%.

6. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

7. Joseph Mina

Joseph Mina New Member

Yes...needed to scroll further. thanks

When I booked the ticket, I used my SAA Voyager#, not realizing I could have used my United# for PQM credit (I was under the impression I had to book the ticket through United to get PQM credit). For that reason, I need to speak with SAA first before approaching United. Hopefully I can get this resolved favorably.

8. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Good luck!!

9. Joseph Mina

Joseph Mina New Member

Thanks. SAA is now investigating. I'll report back when I hear from them.