ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Expiration of miles prevented by transfer?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Mike Coffey, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mike Coffey

Mike Coffey Reader

A lot of airlines have a policy regarding expiration of miles due to lack of activity (e.g. United Mileage Plus earning/buying or redeeming miles within 18 months to keep miles from expiring).

Does the transfer of miles into the account from, for example, Chase Ultimate Rewards, count as a qualifying event for airlines or hotels that can forestall expiration?

RIA: I'm not a road warrior, so I have some monthly payments tied to various airline and hotel cards, which gives me points each month keeping the current point totals active. But by doing this, I'm missing out on the point bonuses I can get from my Sapphire Reserve and Freedom cards. I want to make sure I'm not missing out for nothing.

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much any activity will reset the clock on most programs (except, for example, Singapore KrisFlyer).

Another easy way to extend the expiration is to make a purchase through an online shopping portal. You could literally buy something as simple as toothpaste through a shopping portal, and reset the expiration clock.

3. El Kabong

El Kabong New Member

Excellent, thank you, I'll switch the payments to maximize the points and do the transfers to keep things active.