ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating FAA regulations - baby carrier for takeoff and landing

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Archer528, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Archer528

Archer528 New Member

My cousin just started a petition, based on her recent travel experience with her 6 month old child. From what I can see online, the information on the subject is very limited. Can someone shed light on the FAA regulations that require parents take their child out of baby carriers such as Baby Björns and Ergos during takeoff and landing? Here is what she said:

"Baby carriers such as Baby Bjorn, Ergo, Moby, and all others are prohibited by the FAA during take-off and landing because they have not been tested and approved for use as a restraint device. Instead, babies must be removed from their carriers, where they are safely strapped to a parent, and held in the parents' arms. This rule defies logic: during any sort of emergency where a plane rapidly decelerates, the force would almost certainly inhibit the parents' ability to hold onto the child. This is an obvious danger to the baby and also to other passengers; gruesome as it is, the baby would become a projectile object, causing blunt force trauma to his little body and possibly injuring other passengers. Additionally, having free use of one's arms is vital during an emergency evacuation.

Although emergencies are uncommon, they do happen. A child's safety can also be impacted by heavy turbulence. During a rough descent and landing on a flight with my two-month-old daughter, my arms cramped up trying to hold her and she cried from the discomfort. On the ground, the pilot had to immediately brake hard; since my arms weren't free I was unable to brace myself or my baby, and her head slammed into the seat in front of us. Just a few minutes prior, she had been sleeping peacefully on my chest, cozy and safe in her baby carrier.

Logically, no baby is safer in her parents' arms than she is in a baby carrier. Even if the parent is incapacitated, that child is safer strapped to a body than dropped on the ground or, worse, flying through the cabin. That is why I am calling on the FAA to waive the rule requiring baby carriers to undergo expensive testing to be approved as restraint devices, and allow all models of baby carriers to be used during take-off and landing."