ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Future of Rimowa Electronic Tag?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by IsarFlyer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. IsarFlyer

IsarFlyer New Member

I am in the market for a new suitcase and have been eyeing the Rimowa Topas series with their e-tag feature. It looks like there are some recent developments that suggest it may be a tricky suitcase to use soon. Both IATA and AA have announced policies/guidelines that would leave some room for these bags to be denied at the check-in counter. As far as I know the Rimowa e-tags do not use lithium batteries, but both IATA and AA call out electronic baggage tags specifically.

Do you guys know any more on this? Should I be worried about being able to fly with these suitcases in the future?

Thanks a lot!

IATA announcement: https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safet...egrated-lithium-batteries-and-electronics.pdf
    AA announcement: http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/files/doc_news/Travel-wisely-with-smart-bags.pdf

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

My understanding is that as long as the battery can be removed, it is safe to fly. Can the Rimowa battery be removed?

3. IsarFlyer

IsarFlyer New Member

Thanks, @rickyw! It uses two AAA batteries and per the Rimowa website, they can be removed (while the display will continue to show an already transferred tag, so the bag would still be functional). I guess since there are no US airlines that accept these e-tags yet anyways, I am more worried about an airline straight out rejecting the suitcase, even with the display off/batteries out. Any reason to believe that check-in agents may not be satisfied with removed batteries, given these announcements? Has anybody had any issues?