ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Honeymoon US to Australia Chase UR

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Sean904, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Sean904

Sean904 Reader

Planning on doing a cruise out of Sydney in February/March 2020 for my honeymoon. I've been banking the hell out of points in hopes of some nice Business/First Class seats for us. I've got hotel/cruise on the cheap so I'm paying cash for those but really want to maximize my Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

I have 500,000 Chase UR points.

It appears that United is the cheapest at 90K each way per Award Hacker. But just checking out similar flight days there is some poor routing.

Am I better buying Alaska Miles when on sale and use it towards Cathay to Australia for 60K alaska Miles and then take my 500K UR and get the cash to pay for the points? How do I best search availability for the Cathay using Alaska Miles? Do I search individual legs of JFK-HKG then HKG-SYD or just JFK-SYD?

Would love a direct but obviously that’s finding a unicorn.

What about Qantas?

Any other recommendations?

THANK YOU

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

You can find CX awards on BA's website. Yes, search individual legs. It wont show on AA's or AS's websites. I would say CX's F/J is a decent way to fly to Australia, especially given AS's award chart.

You still have a couple months before CX will have awards for early 2020.

Awards to Australia are somewhat tough and having flexibility in your plans is key.