ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

How much to ask for Refund/compensation for delayed flight

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by RYAN YUK, May 14, 2018.

1. RYAN YUK

RYAN YUK Reader

Hi Ben and the Team (and other readers),

My flight AA2753 MIA SAN on 5/13/2018 was severely delayed. We were on the tarmac and I kept getting staggered delay text messages. We eventually had to de-board at which point, we were told it was an aircraft failure. The plane was scheduled to take off at 7:52pm, but it was only at 11:01pm we finally took off on a different plane. However during the takeoff, passengers learned that the flight is headed to LAX, not SAN. We were not provided with any reason for why the change in destination or the connection details. When we finally arrived at LAX at 1:00am, we learned that the bus is not available, and had to wait another 1.5 hours for the bus to finally come to pick us up. In the end, the bus arrived at SAN airport at 4:40am. That is more than 6 hours later than the scheduled arrival time of 10:32pm.

While aircraft issues are unforeseen, I believe the service / communication provided agents at the scene was poor, and it was extremely frustrating to fly to another airport not knowing how the connection was going to work. Also, this happened on Sunday night into Monday morning, when most passengers need to go to work or classes.

While I'm aware that federal regulation does NOT require airline to compensate for delays including faulty aircraft, there have been plenty cases of airlines exercising goodwill in the past when passengers were dealt with severe delays.

Should I ask for the MIA to SAN portion of my fare to be refunded AND would have airline credit of ~$200 or ~25,000 miles? Not entirely sure what is the reasonable amount to ask for. Thanks for any help.

2. RYAN YUK

RYAN YUK Reader

Hi Ben and the Team (and other readers),

My flight AA2753 MIA SAN on 5/13/2018 was severely delayed. We were on the tarmac and I kept getting staggered delay text messages. We eventually had to de-board at which point, we were told it was an aircraft failure. The plane was scheduled to take off at 7:52pm, but it was only at 11:01pm we finally took off on a different plane. However during the takeoff, passengers learned that the flight is headed to LAX, not SAN. We were not provided with any reason for why the change in destination or the connection details. When we finally arrived at LAX at 1:00am, we learned that the bus is not available, and had to wait another 1.5 hours for the bus to finally come to pick us up. In the end, the bus arrived at SAN airport at 4:40am. That is more than 6 hours later than the scheduled arrival time of 10:32pm.

While aircraft issues are unforeseen, I believe the service / communication provided agents at the scene was poor, and it was extremely frustrating to fly to another airport not knowing how the connection was going to work. Also, this happened on Sunday night into Monday morning, when most passengers need to go to work or classes.

While I'm aware that federal regulation does NOT require airline to compensate for delays including faulty aircraft, there have been plenty cases of airlines exercising goodwill in the past when passengers were dealt with severe delays.

Should I ask for the MIA to SAN portion of my fare to be refunded AND would have airline credit of ~$200 or ~25,000 miles? Not entirely sure what is the reasonable amount to ask for. Thanks for any help.

3. Gia

Gia Active Member

Sounds like a nightmare! I was on an AA flight from PHL to SAN a year ago which was delayed for five hours. I was on a paid F ticket and received 10,000 miles. I believe the amount of miles you receive may be based on fare class, but I can’t be sure of that. Similar problems in the past while seated in Economy only resulted in 5,000 miles. I also have EXP status and I don’t know if that factors in. I don’t believe you can get a refund for the flight because you actually made the trip.

I’ve received 25,000 miles for a flight delay that resulted in misconnecting on an international flight with an ensuing 24 hour delay. In that case, they also paid for a hotel room and offered meal vouchers. For me, I always take the miles over a flight voucher because it’s such a hassle to redeem vouchers and they expire within a year. I know I can always use the miles, so that’s what I request.

Maybe some of the experts here have better advice on this. Good luck!