ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Is it illegal to re-sell a hotel room?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Dave M, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Dave M

Dave M Reader

Hello,

Searched but didn't find anything clear on this. Is it illegal in any way to re-sell a hotel room? Does it directly violate any of the major chain's terms?

Outside of an ethical standpoint, anything technically wrong if the booker does the actual check-in but just hands over the keys to someone else who paid the booker for the room at an increase?

Scalping hotel rooms basically.

Curious...

Thank you.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Not sure if there is anything in the terms although I'd imagine there is, but I don't think any hotel will look kindly upon this. The sublettor would have no legal right to be there and you would be on the hook for any damage the person caused while staying in your name.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    rickyw and Tiffany like this.
  3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Agree with @Gaurav - too risky

Tiffany likes this.
  4. dancefreak

dancefreak New Member

Couldn't speak to legality or official policies in a general sense but people do this all the time when there are big events and hotel inventory sells out. I've dealt with it for the Coachella festival on both sides. In my experience, the person selling the room just calls and adds the name on the reservation and then the new person calls and changes the credit card that is holding it. The seller basically charges a finders fee and then the buyer is responsible for paying the hotel directly. There's no danger to the seller this way because their credit card is no longer involved and the hotel knows who is in the room.

In the example mentioned above where the buyer does the actual check-in and just hands over a key, I think there's all sorts of opportunities for issues and the hotel I'm sure doesn't take too kindly to a person who they have no record of occupying the room.

Tiffany likes this.
  5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@dancefreak, I agree. There are a couple of websites that I know that are focused on what you mention: roomertravel and cancelon but what the OP is suggesting sounds way too risky.

Gia, dancefreak and Tiffany like this.