ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Just wondering what you think of this from Tripadvisor

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Peter Willett, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Peter Willett

Peter Willett Reader

I just got the message below from Tripadvisor. Now I don't especially care, and my review was pretty positive as I recall. But I wonder if it's only the deep-pocketed hotels (and restaurants) that get do-overs.

====
    Hi [my TA name],

We would like to let you know that Hilton Atlanta has recently gone through a major renovation. As a result, all reviews and photos posted before the change including yours, have been removed in accordance to our policy.

Thank you for your understanding!

TripAdvisor Support Team
    ====

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I'd like to think any hotel that could prove to TA that they've undergone a major renovation could get an exemption like this. But you may be right in thinking it's only bigger chains.

3. Gia

Gia Active Member

Actually, they restart the reviews on the smaller properties as well. I have a favorite hotel in Paris that I’ve been staying at since the mid 90s and it became very rundown over the years and the reviews suffered. A few years ago it was completely gutted and remodeled and it had a restart. On the other hand, a favorite hotel in Venice was remodeled and went from three to four stars last year but all the older reviews going back to 2005 are still there. Perhaps, because the Venice property had good reviews for years and the Paris property suffered poor reviews the Paris owners may have requested a restart.

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Personally I think it'd be better to keep the reviews - there may be info about service and other things there that could be of use - but mark it with a warning of some sort? If there was amazing or terrible service, a renovation may not change that.