ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

LAX to Bangkok....which airline?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by TK5788, Dec 30, 2017.

1. TK5788

TK5788 New Member

I am looking to book Business Class flight from LAX to Bangkok (ultimate destination Laos/Bhutan) in September 2018. I've been researching airlines and fares. Based on what I've determined so far, I've narrowed the choices down to:

-ANA
    -EVA
    -Japan Airlines

Right now, ANA has a round trip fare of $4,000 per person. EVA is at $4,800 and JAL is $5,000. Based on your reviews (which are excellent) EVA and JAL offer a superior experience. Just wondering your thoughts on whether or not it's worth the extra money. Since it's such a special occasion I don't mind the extra expense if it's worth it. Also, any other airlines we should look at and any thoughts on when to buy the tickets?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

ANA is well known for its service. I wouldn't hesitate to book them.

3. wilve

wilve Member

You could consider flying EVA AIR to Singapore, where there are connections to Laos (not sure about Bhutan), in order to experience their Hello Kitty jet! Love it or hate it, it’s quite the unforgettable experience.

For Bangkok, I wouldn’t hesitate to book ANA. That said, EVA’s reverse herringbone seats are my favorite and feel very private when you’re in them. I got excellent sleep. I’ve never flown JAL biz, but Lucky has said that their Apex suites on the 777-300ER (sadly, not the 787’s) are his favorite Biz product.

My last selling point for EVA is that you can fly to Bangkok all the way in a longhaul 777-300ER. I think ANA flies some 787’s there tho, but either way, you’ll want to check that you’re getting the airline’s longhaul hard product the whole way

4. Rohit Deshpande

I have flown all three of those products and can tell you that ANA will be the better option here. I will say EVA's overall J product is superior to ANA's but with an $800 price premium for that, you'd be perfectly well off flying ANA's business class. Out of LAX on their 77Ws they have a staggered business class config, so if you can secure a "true" window seat should you choose to fly with them, I think that will be good. If you can find a way to lower that EVA J class price, then I'd pick them in a heartbeat, but not in this instance for an $800 premium. JAL is great too, but not as good as EVA in my opinion, and because ANA is 1k cheaper, I won't even talk about it.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions. Also this is minor, but I find the Star alliance lounge at LAX to be far superior to the OW Lounge there. Not a big deal when we are talking an overall 16-17 hours in business class flights to BKK, but always contributes.

MidSouth Skier likes this.