ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Lectured about alcohol by ASIANA flight attendant!

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by julius grafton, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Hey Ben,

Last night (15 July) on OZ501 from Seoul to Sydney in business, my wife and I enjoyed three tiny wine glasses of white wine. Asking for a refill, the flight attendant launched into a polite lecture about the effects of alcohol at altitude, and asked me if I was alright. Somewhat dumbstruck I indicated I was, and she poured us another. Then it happened again.

I spoke (politely) to the flight manager who said this was airline policy. I informed her our previous Asiana flight was the day prior, in first class from Frankfurt, during which no such 'lecture' or 'caution' was delivered. My wife politely advised them that we fly a lot in premium class on many airlines. Between the two of us (I am aged 60) we have never had any hesitation in drink service or experienced such an event from crew serving us.

It should be noted we were chatting quietly during the drink period, and would have presented as sober, mature professionals. We have a pleasant demeanour.

We were quite offended, and made this clear. Has this happened to anyone else?

Quick notes, the captain kept the seatbelt sign on the whole journey, which in my mind creates a safety hazard. The slope seat was horrible, the economy blanket and pillow also. Service on both flights was first rate, except for above, but we were never addressed by name - even in first.

Keen for feedback on this! Keep up the good work, Ben.

Julius Grafton