ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

LH First A380 vs 747-8

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Mark16, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Mark16

Mark16 Member

Hi All

I'm looking to book an LH first class redemption with the long haul from FRA-JFK/EWR, and I noticed some flights are on A380s while others are 747s. I noticed the seat map is a different layout of seatguru, so wondering if there is a material difference between the two products or any reason to pick one over the other if schedule agnostic.

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Seats are virtually the same across both aircraft on the A380 and the 747-8 though I would say row 1 or 2 on the 747-8 would offer the most privacy.

Mark16 and Tiffany like this.
  3. Mark16

Mark16 Member

Awesome - thanks! I'll be traveling with my SO, so I have my eye on the two interior seats on the 747, though I've never flown on the upper deck of any jumbo jet so the A380 has that going for it. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way, we'll see what's available once I have the miles to book.

Appreciate the help!

David W likes this.
  4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Hands-down the A380! Have you seen the size of those two front restrooms?!!

Mark16 and Tiffany like this.
  5. Mark16

Mark16 Member

Haha I have not - appreciate the intel though!

Tiffany likes this.
  6. Mark16

Mark16 Member

One follow up Q on this: is the strategy of waiting for the last minute for LH F availability opening up still valid during peak summer travel? Or is it a little stingier that time of year?

7. David W

I'd go with it being stingy though you may get lucky.

8. Mark16

Mark16 Member

Interesting - I suppose I will keep an eye on things then! Is there a good backup option you can recommend that tends to be available last minute that time of year? Or is the seasonality just tough?

9. David W

I'd probably try and confirm something now (business class) for the dates you need and then hope First space comes up and then pay the fees to change.

Mark16 likes this.
  10. Mark16

Mark16 Member

Got it - thanks a ton! Really appreciate the advice!!