ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Marriott Points Advance Booking

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Sydneyflyer12, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Sydneyflyer12

Sydneyflyer12 New Member

Has anyone at OMAAT reached out to Marriott regarding the following language in the new Bonvoy terms:

“Points Advance — Members can book stays when they do not have enough points if they earn or purchase the needed points at least 14 days prior to check-in. Members who wish to book a points advance redemption under the current Marriott Rewards and SPG award chart are encouraged to order redemption certificates before March 5 to lock in the rate. On March 5, redemption bookings are subject to the new unified program award chart.”

This seems like a pretty misleading policy change by Marriott. When I made my points advance bookings I was told that the rate was locked in and that I need only fulfill the points 15 nights prior to check in. Not once did anyone at Marriott ever allude to the fact that the rate would no longer be guaranteed when the new awards chart. On the contrary, Marriott actively encouraged making point prior to the award chart change and mentioned that points advance bookings could be used to lock rates in.

TPG has reached out to Marriott regarding this change and I wanted to check if you have, too, considering how much I'm sure it affects many of the readers here.

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I read that as you can lock in rates until March 4th at the old rates. And, on March 5th, you are subject to the new award chart.

What makes you think that Marriott will change your booking rate?

3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

4. Sydneyflyer12

Sydneyflyer12 New Member

5. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Got it. That is frustrating, but in my opinion, it doesn't seem like a totally unfair policy for a couple reasons.

First, they are giving a full month's notice (better than other programs have historically given).

Second, their technology might not be capable of recognizing the old awards if you haven't ordered the certificate yet (we all know Marriott's tech isn't leading the pack these days)

Third, it was already an incredibly generous policy. I'd rather be scrambling to get the necessary points in the next few weeks while knowing the policy is sticking around, than Marriott eliminating points advance altogether.

So I guess to sum up... it could have been way worse?! :rolleyes:

6. David W

David W Well-Known Member