ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Mastercard Luxury Card

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Alex Tambiev, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Alex Tambiev

Alex Tambiev New Member

I just got a very nicely designed (which I must say I’m a sucker for) letter from MasterCard, offering their Luxury Card. It seems to have better redemptions and cashback than Chase Sapphire, Citi Prestige, and Amex Platinum, and I was wondering if you know anything about this? I always see the three aforementioned cards discussed on review sites (especially TPG which seems to analyze their relative benefits to a crazy extent) but haven’t seen the Luxury Card mentioned anywhere... is there some hidden catch I’m not seeing?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I've gotten similar invites in the mail in the past, I never really considered the card.

I found an old article from TPG hyping the card a bit, but nothing too current.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/are-the-new-luxury-cards-worth-it/

Seems that points can be redeemed at a fixed 1.5 cents towards the cost of airfare - which sounds great on paper but can be pretty limiting when you think about. There's no transfer partners like Citi, Chase, AMEX... and you can't redeem for any other part of travel besides airfare (like hotel, rental car, etc.)

3. Alex Tambiev

Alex Tambiev New Member

Ok, guess it’s not as great as it sounds. Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

rickyw likes this.