ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Elite Status Million Miler Companion Benefit Does Not Extend to Global Services Status?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by DoxieFlyer, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DoxieFlyer

DoxieFlyer Reader

My partner just got notice that he’s now a Global Services member on United. I’ve received his Premier status as a companion benefit for years as he is also a Million Miler. However, this year, while he was made a Global Services member, I did not receive the same benefit — I’m still at 1K.

When I called United they said that Global Services is not part of the Premier Status on its Mileage Plus program, so I’m not eligible for a match through the Million Miler Companion benefit.

Looking at the United page on the Million Miler Program is very clearly says that “a companion’s Premier status will be the same” as the Million Miler. It also lists Global Services as a Premier benefit once you've flown 4 million miles with them.

So who’s right? Is Global Services membership considered a “Premier status”? And if so, then am I not entitled to have it matched through the Million Miler Companion benefit?

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

If my understanding is right, you can be GS before earning 4MM lifetimes miles right? Was that what got your partner his status or did he earn it based on his travel history and revenue generation? Would you only get the benefit once he hits the 4MM threshold?

3. DoxieFlyer

DoxieFlyer New Member

That's one way to achieve GS status. This year he achieved it by flying a LOT of biz class revenue tickets and was given it Jan 1st.

My issue is that as having flown a Million Miles with UA one of the benefits is that he can nominate a companion to receive the same status as the Million Miler in a calendar year. That's me & I've received the same status as him for years -- mostly Platinum 1K. This year he's Global Services and I'm still at Platinum 1K.

When I called UA to inquire about the discrepancy, the agent said that Global Services isn't part of the UA Premier Elite program so it's not eligible for matching through the Million Miler Companion Benefit. This seems like a contradiction because GS status is clearly stated as part of the Premier Elite benefits. Like you mentioned, flying 4 million miles gives you lifetime GS status.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion or experience in this. It seems like UA is not applying its rules evenly in the Million Miler program.

4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

To play devil’s advocate here for a moment, is there a benefit you’re looking for that you’re not getting as a Premier 1K? If you travel together, you’ll both be treated extremely well due to his GS status, and then add in your 1K status and you’d arguably have the most attention out of any traveling couple. His GS status allows for more upgrades and better award availability (rumored?), but again, those benefits essentially transfer to you because he can book award tickets for you. If he’s the one who does all the paid traveling, I assume the miles are in his account anyways, no?

I understand where you’re coming from, and definitely feel that published rules are published rules and should be followed. But, is it worth the hassle to fight United for no tangible benefit?

5. DoxieFlyer

DoxieFlyer New Member

6. DoxieFlyer

DoxieFlyer New Member

Actually having GS status individually is an important benefit that should be accorded to me as per UA’s stated rules in its Million Miler Companion Benefit. As I often fly alone, getting upgrades, Mercedes driven transfers and boarding first are GS benefits. Elite booking while using my miles for tickets is another benefit that I can’t use through my partner and aren’t transferable through him. He will book his tickets as a GS and I can only book my as 1K — not the same status.

I just am annoyed because UA does not seem to be applying its stated policy evenly and is cherry picking its rules to deny my Global Services status.

7. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I agree it's a frustrating situation, but I don't think United is wrong. Technically, Global Services is an invitation only, unpublished elite level. If you Google, Global Services, you don't even get pushed to the United website in the top 3 choices. It's all blogs making educated guesses on how to earn GS.

If you're still curious on how to pursue, I'd recommend doing so on FlyerTalk. You will probably find many more actual GS members there who are in somewhat similar situations, rather than the 1 or 2 you'd find here....

Good luck!

Personally, I'd be ecstatic to receive top tier 1K with no qualifiers and spending barrier... but that's just me :)

Gaurav likes this.