ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Need Chip/Pin card for travel (with no FTF)

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Salter, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Salter

Salter New Member

Hey all--

I got the Chase Ink Business Plus Visa as a result of my reading here (though I've been so busy I haven't made the time to upgrade to the new version of this card -- the Preferred or Reserve?). The points have been good (5 on office supplies, a number for gas and dining and hotels) and a huge starting bonus). No charge on Foreign Transactions Fees (FTF) is nice too.

And I have a lousy Citibank Gold American Airlines Mastercard that I've had since late 80's (though the card no longer states that start date (!). But I only get 1 point per mile and the damn thing charges FTF. I don't even know why I keep it. Habit I guess, plus with that card my AA miles never expire. (I wonder if there's a better card for AA miles)

Anyway -- what has become a soon apparent pain on my last 3 week trip in Europe was that both my chipped cards are chip/signature rather than chip/pin, so I could not pay road tolls, rent bicycles in the city or pay for gasoline at highway gas stations.

I though the Chase Ink Business Plus offered this feature, but how do I get it? And what is a good card for American Airlines that offers it? And I've also used my Chase Debit Visa card for things (which is chipped) but does this debit card (That draws on a US bank) have a chip/pin option? Do I have to visit a Chase branch to get it?

Thanks for the insights on what the best CHIP/PIN cards might be. I find the signature option very annoying and a lot of small bars and restaurants don't want to deal with it in Europe, I've found.

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @Salter - I totally understand your feelings about your AA card but I wouldn't get rid of it. If you've had the account that long it's definitely helping out the average age of accounts factor in your credit score (unless, of course, you have several other cards that old). I'm holding on to mine for the same reason.

You could get one of the Barclays cards, either the AA card or the Arrival Plus as they're both chip + PIN and are each $95/year (though I think the fee is waived the first year). There are probably a few other cards out there that are chip + PIN but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Arrival Plus is my go-to for a Chip+Pin card!