ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

One ways vs Round Trip

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Randomscott2018, Jun 6, 2018.

1. So I have decent status on United, and I frequently find that two one ways cost the exact same price as a round trip. My normal thought process is to book two one ways to offer me more flexibility in cases of unexpected travel delays and the such. So basically my question is this: does it ever make sense to book a round trip if the price is the same as two one ways? If so, when?

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Say you have a 3 day trip, from A to B. At your departure point, there could be delays or IRROPS that render the trip useless, in which case the airline would cancel and refund you in full. If you booked round trip travel on a single ticket, the whole cost would be refunded. If you booked two separate one ways, they'd refund you for the outbound ticket. They'd have no reason to cancel and refund your return ticket, since it's separate and not affected by the delay or IRROPS at your departure point.

Sure, a nice agent can sympathize and cancel the separate ticket as well, but it's not required.

Gia, rickyw and Bossman like this.