ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Picking an airline: DL or UA

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by JamesR, Mar 9, 2018.

1. JamesR

JamesR Reader

Hey all!

I'm recently getting into the points and miles game. I've flown on United mostly, but I am thinking of changing my carrier of choice to Delta.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and do almost all of my flying for business out of LNK. There are really only four routes out of LNK: DEN and ORD on United or MSP and ATL on Delta. Is there a better airline to try and get status on or are they pretty much equal?

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Well you're definitely limited based on who flies to Lincoln. What are your goals? Do you want to obtain elite status? Or just earn as many redeemable miles as possible?

3. tadasu

tadasu New Member

do you ever fly long haul and where do you usually fly to? ORD has more long haul connections than the other 3 you listed. Would you be more likely to fly Star Alliance or Skyteam airlines? If you fly to Europe then Delta has more partners (Virgin, AF, KLM, Alitalia) than United.

Generally i find most things about Delta to be more refined than United. Delta has relatively newer cabin, lounges, etc. its website is easier to use. but this is only my limited experience

4. Alexander Favero

Alexander Favero New Member

Just to play devils advocate...
    I agree with what you said about Delta's website being better, however, I find their lounges to be disappointing, especially when compared to United's Polaris lounge. When flying with United you also get access to an array of other great lounges such as Singapore Airlines' SilverKris lounge and Lufthansa/Swiss' Senator lounges.

I find SkyTeam to be frustrating and with few good airlines. I have been a Star Alliance loyalist since birth and I would highly recommend staying with United.

5. Eddie007

Eddie007 New Member

I don't like Delta website for booking as you need to click on View Seats and it pops up another tab/window to show you the seat map, while on United website, it's right there, if you know what I mean.

6. Alexander Favero

Alexander Favero New Member

That's a valid point, however, I find everything else on their website more 'modern' and well designed.