ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Places to visit in South America

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Roger G. Ruckert, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Roger G. Ruckert

Roger G. Ruckert New Member

I enjoyed Lucky's list of places to visit from the 20-Oct e-mail. My wife & I visited Peru last year, and also had to choose between the 2 SPG properties around Cusco: Tambo del Inka in the Sacred Valley, and Palacio del Inka in Cusco. We opted for the Palacio. On the train to Machu Picchu, we went past the Tambo. As I suspected, it is pretty isolated, so you would be stuck on-property. If you are looking for a relaxing place to be secluded, that would be great. However, our travel style is more to get out and do things. We made the right choice for us by staying in Cusco at Tambo. Cusco is a great city to explore on foot, with lots of history, and Tambo is a fantastic property. As Platinum SPG members, we got breakfast, and it was a grand buffet every morning. I have never been to a property before that started serving breakfast at 4:30 a.m., but they did, since hotel pickups for the van and long train ride to Machu Picchu start around 6 a.m.

One place that you didn't mention that I would put at or near the top of the list is Iguazu Falls, at the border of Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay. Depending on how you measure it (amount of water, height of falls, number of falls, width of falls, etc.), it is the #1 or #2 falls in the world. It is truly mind-blowing, easily worth spending an entire day or two at. We stayed on the Argentine side, and there are fantastic catwalks across the river, right to the edge of the largest fall, Devil's Throat. We stayed at the Sheraton hotel right inside the park, and it made for a great trip. That has now been rebranded as the Melia Iguazu.