ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Planning a future trip on LH first to South Africa

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kevinm, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Kevinm

Kevinm New Member

I have aeroplan points and would like to use them to fly LH business YYZ to FRA and then LH first FRA to JNB on a specific date in March. Knowing that there's a good chance of getting these flights a day or two in advance, any suggestions as to how I can do this while also making sure that I can fly on the specific date? Book a refundable ticket as a backup? Other? Thanks.

2. Mick

Mick Member

Do you have any flexibility in dates? If so I would just ride it out personally. I think personally LH F is great but that’s going to be a lot of fees. If you have other points (like UR) then other options may arise at the time (eg buying alaska miles and flying Cathay in biz and first) or United.

I keep an eye on the qantas website for Cathay and would buy alaska miles if they had a sale on offer.

I actually prefer Cathay first to LH

3. Mick

Mick Member

Does Swiss fly to Jnb and yyz? Good option for a backup and I don’t think you pay fees on Aeroplan. Save 30-40k points and $500. Nice new lounge at Zurich too