ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Regular Folk Traveling

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by CPTdave504, Apr 19, 2016.

1. PassengerPoldberg

PassengerPoldberg New Member

I live in Omaha and all of my travels originate and terminate here. I personally did a write up on my own website about trying to decide which airline to be loyal to considering my odd situation. I was getting to the point were I had a wide range of points with a wide range of programs, hence hardly any redemption value. I think I'm finally piecing things together and really figuring out my travel niche.

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

@David W is exactly right that it's harder now, but there are still some ways to do it, especially if you have a mall in your area that will sell VGCs at a reasonable price and a way to liquidate those cards. The death of Bluebird/Serve for MSing meant a loss of a fee-free way to liquidate $5000 in VGC but there are other low-cost (< $1.50 per $1000) options in many areas of the country.

No Name likes this.
  3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I didnt really MS so I never used Serve. The few times I did it, I used Google Wallet. They used to let you pay someone with debit cards and these gift cards worked. I havent tried it in a while but I dont think it works anymore

4. CPTdave

CPTdave New Member

Thanks for the tip on the Travel CODEX blog, but I just don't have the free time on my hands to try out some of those techniques. I just applied for the Chase Ink Cash card, and here's my new MS scheme:

-On top of 20K bonus UR points and no annual fee
    -Will use that card to purchase $1500 in VGCs every month (will cost $8.95/$300 card, thereby incurring a $44.75 charge per month to do this
    -Will purchase them online through "Shop through Chase", thereby netting me 7 UR points/dollar spent
    -Use my VGCs as my default spending card(s) throughout the month
    -Staples has a $2K/month limit on gift cards

That seems to be about the easiest and most cost efficient way to MS that I can see out there nowadays. Unless I'm missing other options out there...

Gaurav likes this.
  5. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

It all depends on what kinds of points you want to collect. For your Ink card be sure to pay your phone & internet bills with that card as you'll get 5x for that. And gas gets 2x on Ink.

When trying to accumulate points in with cards that don't have good bonus spend categories (e.g. SPG card) if you have a Simon Mall nearby you can get $500 cards for $3.95 each. Macerich Malls also sells cards but I'm not sure about the price.

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Just FYI, portal bonuses are not awarded on VGC purchases from Staples.

7. CPTdave

CPTdave New Member

@Gaurav - Well, that sucks. Any other ideas out there?

8. David W

David W Well-Known Member

MidSouth Skier likes this.