ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Separate tickets vs single ticket for same trip

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by alinsfca, Dec 3, 2018.

1. alinsfca

alinsfca New Member

Hi, I am looking at a trip from SFO to central Asia with one stop at ICN. When I priced out the single ticket on business class, it was over $7k. But when I priced out the same itinerary as two separate tickets, it was only slightly over $5k. The lay over is 1 hr 50 mins. I am sure, I will have enough time for the transfer, but I have several questions:

1, why KE would price out the tickets like that?
    2. when I read flyertalk on the same topic, they said if it is on a single ticket you are protected if KE screw up on the first leg, but will that be the same if on separate ticket but same itinerary?
    3. If I decided to buy two separate tickets, can I ask KE to merge them into one?

Thanks
    Alinsfca

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @alinsfca -
    1. Ticket pricing is a mysterious thing and I'm not sure even though deeply involved could tell you why something prices a certain way. I was recently looking at a flight to Australia and priced it US-SYD non-stop and then as a one-stop from my city to the hub to SYD. Somehow the system decided that was worth about $4000 extra. Strange indeed.
    2. Assuming your outbound and return dates aren't super close to each other there's not much difference in buying two one-ways vs. a round-trip. Just keep in mind that if you end up canceling or changing the trip there would be two separate change fees involved.
    3. I do not believe the separate tickets can be merged but am willing to be corrected!

OCTinPHL likes this.