ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Reader Reviews: Trips & Tips Share your miles & points triumphs!

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Tiffany, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Thanks to a suggestion from @PhatMiles, we're going to try out a new feature here in the forum.

I've created a new "Thread Prefix" called "Trips & Tips". As long as you're a registered member of the forum, you can use that tag to post stories and reviews here on Ask Lucky. Tell us about the great mileage redemptions you've made, the best methods you've found for earning points, or even some fun travel tips. Feel free to add pictures, gifs, etc. (we're especially partial to memes, of course).

If it gets popular, we can look at the logistics of eventually sharing some of the posts on the main page as well.

Thanks for making this such a fun community, and thanks for the idea @PhatMiles!!

PassengerPoldberg likes this.
  2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Maybe make this a sticky post @Tiffany?

PhatMiles likes this.
  3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Done!

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Oops. Oh well. Feel free to move it if necessary.

5. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

been waiting for something like this for a long time :)

6. Jason Brandt Lewis

Jason Brandt Lewis New Member

Beware of Hawaiian Airlines . . . hooray for JetBlue!

Long story: please bear with me (it’s worth it).

I took my wife and two college-aged kids to Hawaii over Christmas. We flew on two separate Confirmation Codes: 1) my kids from OAK-OGG (12/19) and OGG-OAK (12/25) on one reservation (COSAEK); 2) my wife and I, from OAK-OGG (12/19 — same flight), then OGG-LIH (12/25), LIH-OGG-OAK (12/29) on the other (CPMWWM).

When I made the reservations online, I noticed there was no way to “plug in” our JetBlue TrueBlue numbers, so immediately upon completing the reservation (and paying for the tickets), I called Hawaiian to add our numbers. The Customer Service rep told me we would only receive 50% credit (1 point for 2 miles), but since this was more valuable to me than Hawaiian miles, I thanked her but opted for the JetBlue miles instead. She attached our numbers and I thought all was right with the world.

In January, I had noticed that NO miles had yet been credited to our JetBlue accounts, so I called Hawaiian and was first told that we were entitled to ZERO miles (due to the fare class). When I pointed out that wasn’t what I was told when I purchased the tickets, he double-checked and told me that my wife and I were entitled to:
    • NO miles from OAK-OGG;
    • 100% of the miles from OGG-LIH (202 miles);
    • NO miles from LIH-OGG;
    • 100% of the miles from OGG-OAK (2,349 miles).
    (Isn’t that 50% of the miles, as I was initially told?)

But he told me I had to talk with JetBlue about the miles. I tried to inquire if Hawaiian had bothered to tell JetBlue, and he replied, “You have to talk to JetBlue.” After reaching this impasse, I asked for a supervisor. She told me that the customer service rep was wrong, and that I was actually entitled to:
    • NO miles from OAK-OGG;
    • 100% of the miles from OGG-LIH (202 miles);
    • 100% of the miles from LIH-OGG (202 miles);
    • NO miles from OGG-OAK.
    What’s the point of having 404 miles on a 5,000 mile round-trip? I asked what I would receive if I had used my Hawaiian FF number. “We’ll credit you 100%,” was the reply, “but only if Jet Blue hasn’t credited you with anything.”

I checked with JetBlue, which had posted nothing to my account, but credited 101 miles to my wife’s. So I phoned JetBlue to see if they could delete those 101 miles, so we could get 5,000 each on Hawaiian. After explaining the situation, the JetBlue supervisor asked, since we were expecting 50% credit on JetBlue, if she could just add 2,500 miles to each of our JetBlue accounts? YES! Kudos to JetBlue!!!

Next, I checked on our girls’ JetBlue accounts: nothing. So, I contacted Hawaiian Airlines via their website, after logging into each of their respective accounts, and applied for missing mileage credit(s) for the OAK-OGG flights. Both requests were denied (170104-1339861 and 170104-1339871, respectively), because they have hyphenated last names, and on their tickets, their names were not hyphenated, and so “We are unable to verify the passenger's name in the submitted itinerary.”

We shall NEVER fly Hawaiian Airlines again . . .