ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards shopping for 1st CC

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AMay, Nov 14, 2017.

1. AMay

AMay Reader

Ive never really had a need for a CC, but with my first trips abroad to canada coming up everyone is sayingi should get a CC but i have absolutely no idea where to start at, all im looking for is one that offers good benefits (points on miles and gas and dining i do travel a bit in the US)

i dont want to sign up for a card that wouldnt fit my needs. what is a good first time card?

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

It really depends on your long term goals. Something like the Citi Premier might be useful--it offers bonused spending on gas, travel, and dining and entertainment, points that can be redeemed for travel, and have the option to be transferred to frequent flier programs. Also no foreign transaction fees. It does carry a $95 fee which is waived for the first year but you could downgrade to a no fee Preferred card at the end of the year if you feel the card is not worth the fees. Unfortunately the card doesn't currently have a sign up bonus right now so if you have flexibility I might wait to see if the offer one (they do it from time to time).

3. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Otherwise the Chase Sapphire Preferred might be a decent fit for you. No bonus on gas but 2x on dining and travel. Like the Citi Premier it has a $95 fee that is waived the first year but it does have a 50K point sign-up bonus.

Ben has sign-up links for both of these cards. To reach them, hover over the Best Credit Cards tab at the top of the page then select Flexible Points & Cash Back Cards.