ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Should I get another Credit Card?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Brodie Smith, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Hey Guys,

So I'm pretty new at the game. Been reading for the last month or so and I'm having trouble deciding what my next Credit Card should be, if any.

I currently have:
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Chase Freedom
    Chase Ink Business Bold

Any advice on what credit card I should get next would be super helpful! Thanks so much!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

3. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

That's a great question! I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing out on anything. I want to maximize my purchases as much as possible.

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

@Brodie Smith - I think what @Gaurav means is: what are your travel goals? You've got a great stockpile of Ultimate Rewards-earning cards but diversity is a good thing. Knowing where your travel goals are can make a difference on what cards would be recommended as different alliances have strengths in different regions.

Tiffany likes this.
  5. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

I don't necessary have travel goals other than getting upgraded as much as possible. I'm 6'5 so the extra leg room is really nice. I travel mostly for work and last minute a lot.

6. MidSouth Skier

@Brodie Smith - what airlines do you typically travel? Long haul? Short domestic flights?

7. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

I'm currently trying to only fly on Delta...I'm out of Dallas, but fly randomly around the USA...the top 2 destinations however are LA and NY. I fly 3-5 times internationally a year.

8. MidSouth Skier

Then I would start with the SPG Amex. It currently has a 30K signup bonus. That's 5K more than usual and it only comes around once a year. SPG points can be transferred to a wide variety of airlines. Plus when you transfer 20K SPG points at one time, you get a 5K bonus, meaning you'd end up with 25K Delta miles. (Note that transfers are not instant.)

Lucky has a signup link on the Best Credit Cards tab at the top of this page under Hotel Credit Cards.

Plus, after you spend $30K on the card you get SPG gold status.

9. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Ok thanks for the advice. I do see that a lot of people have that card and like it.

I'm just now trying to figure out when to use what.

So this is what I'm thinking as of now:
    Chase Freedom
    - Use only on categories that are 5x
    Chase Sapphire
    - Travel 2x
    - Dining 2x
    Ink Bold
    - Gas Stations 2x
    - Phone/Internet/Cable 5x

When would I use the SPG Amex? And does my spending on the cards I already have make sense and would anything change if I get the SPG Amex?

10. MidSouth Skier

Yes, your spending absolutely makes sense. The SPG card doesn't have any bonus categories (except for SPG hotels) so you'd use it for all your non-bonus category spending. Dry cleaners, auto repairs, medical bills, charity donations...anywhere not listed in the categories you list above that'll take Amex.

11. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Sick! Thanks!

12. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Brodie Smith @MidSouth Skier makes a very good suggestion. Depending on your spending patterns I would also consider the AmEx Everyday Preferred card. It earns 1.5 MR points for every dollar spent as long as you make 30 transactions in every billing period. The one big bonus category I don't see on your current repertoire is groceries where the card shines: you'll earn 4.5MR/$ upto the first $6k in groceries per year plus unlimited 3x/$ at gas stations with the 30 transaction min.

13. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Oh wow that is nice. This one sounds way better than the SPG card...am I missing anything or is this an easy decision?

14. MidSouth Skier

I agree with @Gaurav about the grocery category - totally missed that! But personally I'd apply for the SPG card first because its bonus time is limited and it would be next year before it rolls around again. But that's me. :) In 3 months or so you can apply for the Everyday Preferred card.

15. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Neither of these have an annual fee?

16. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Both have an annual fee of $95

17. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Hmm but I make up for this with the points I get?

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

At least in the first year you should (given bonuses), after that it depends on your spending patterns.

19. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

Ok so might close one after the first year then...cuz I doubt I will spend that much

20. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I guess the other way to consider this is do you have elite statue with Delta? How often do you get upgraded to comfortable seats?