ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Industry News / Opinions The majors are banning smart luggage

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Jonathan L., Dec 21, 2017.

1. Jonathan L.

Jonathan L. Reader

So over the past week the majors plus Hawaiian and Alaska have posted the ban of any checked smart luggage that the battery can not be removed. Basically the new smart luggage that can charge your devices or has GPS tracking or WiFi, can no longer be checked without the removal of the battery and then the battery be put into a carry on bag. Any smart carry on must be turned off during the flight.

What is everyone’s thoughts?

2. Gia

Gia Active Member

I honestly don’t know how widespread the use is of smart luggage with charging devices. For myself, I’m not impacted at all given that most of my flights have access electrical outlets, my terminal time is spent in lounges with access to outlets, I rarely check a bag so I’m not concerned with tracking and my devices are better at holding longer charges with each new generation. Given the recent incidents with lithium battery fires, it’s probably a very wise move.