ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries Traveling to Cuba via the United States as a foreigner

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Ole, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Ole

Ole Reader

Hi,

Ben has written several posts about travel to Cuba from the US, which I have enjoyed. As a foreigner (in my case Norwegian), do any of you know what exactly the rules are for traveling to Cuba from the US?

We are going on holiday to Miami for two weeks and we are considering taking four days in Havana during that period due to the really cheap airfares, but we are really unsure about what exactly the rules are. Regardless we are planning on getting visas from the embassy in Norway, but do we still have to travel within one of categories to be allowed onto the plane in Miami? Some places it says yes, some places it says no. I a bit confused.

Thanks,
    Ole

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

The rules are only for US citizens AFAIK. You shouldn't have any issues.

3. dancefreak

dancefreak New Member

Unfortunately, the rules aren't limited to only US citizens. Anyone flying to cuba directly from the United States has to jump through these hoops. Just mark Support for the Cuban People and hand it over. I wouldn't worry about it. The airline doesn't care why you're going and no one will ever look into it. It also has nothing to do with customs or immigration so you shouldn't be concerned about reentering the United States afterwards. Also consider that there's a chance a US airlines won't let you board without obtaining the tourist visa directly from them or their vendor so I would call the airline in advance to confirm one way or another. The tourist visa issued for flights from the US is slightly different than the one issued for flights from elsewhere.

Or you can fly via a third city...but that defeats the purpose of the quick cheap and easy trip!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018