ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Typhoon help (Hong Kong biz $600 fare)

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by nomarkupM, Sep 13, 2018.

1. nomarkupM

nomarkupM Reader

Well, as timing would have it, we are traveling from LAX-HKG-DPS on Tuesday/Wednesday on the Hong Kong Airlines super fare. Looks like we are heading right into Typhoon Mangkhut that is expected to impact HKG over the weekend. First hotel in Bali (FS Sayan) was booked as non-refundable. Other 2 hotels have 7-day cxl windows. All bookings done on Citi Prestige.

Anyone have some big picture suggestions? Of course, all we really want to do is get to our destinations safely and on time. But there are so many moving parts to our 14 day vacation that I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Not sure how Hong Kong Airlines is intending to handle the ticket...will they offer to cancel it (not particularly workable), or allow the value of the fare to be applied to a (much) higher ticket price for future travel, or will they treat it as a voucher that will allow us to rebook for A-B regardless.

Is it crazy to just wait it out? Or even crazier to book an available Star Alliance Saver ticket via UA that will get me to my destination on time (avoiding HKG altogether) and hope to reuse the HKA ticket at another time.

Such a mess.