ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Unilaterally cancelled first leg by Emirates

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by SvenWpt, Dec 28, 2017.

1. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

I am at the moment in this Tunisia vs. UAE mess. I had a ticket TUN - BKK (of course via DXB) for the second week of February in Emirates First. Now today I got the email from Emirates, that the leg from TUN to DXB has been cancelled "due to operational reasons". The outbound flight DXB to BKK and both return legs BKK - DXB and DXB - TUN are still intact in my reservation. There was no mention of any refund and no consultation was done with me whatsoever.
    Is there any way this is legal? They didn't even try to accommodate me on another carrier or find a viable solution for me.
    Any advice is appreciated

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @SvenWpt - ouch, that's tough. I'd first do some research to find an acceptable routing, then contact Emirates. If you and they can't agree on what is "acceptable" then they can cancel your ticket and refund your money (or miles).

If your trip has already started you're a little more at their mercy though they could refund the segments not yet flown.

It's a tough situation, for sure. Let us know how it turns out.

Gia likes this.
  3. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

Thanks for the reply @MidSouthSkier
    I could take the early morning flight on TunisAir to Casablanca for example and then from there to DXB, but I'm not sure if they would see that as an acceptable solution for Emirates.
    ...of course I could skip the three days in Tunisia altogether and fly directly from Europe, but I guess that would be even less acceptable for them
    Btw I just saw a few minutes ago that the return flight from Dubai to Tunis was cancelled as well in a later email

4. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

I just had Emirates at the phone, their offer was to either cancel with a full refund or rebook from another departure city with the usual rate (for example from Casablanca I should pay an extra of around 1,150 Euro). No consideration whatsoever that I am i Tunis the time I will fly (or at least don't have as easy refundable hotel and flight bookings there) and that I also would have to get to another departure city from there on my own. I guess I should take the refund and consider Emirates as one of the airlines I won't use again

5. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I would keep pushing for what works for you and don't immediately write Emirates off. I'd escalate to a supervisor as way, not the front-line customer service agents, if you haven't already.

Good luck!

6. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

@rickyw Thanks for the heads up. I will try that. If I only knew where it's advisable to contact. When I dial the German support number I am always connected to a call centre in Budapest, where the agents seem pretty nice, but apparently don't have a lot of authority to do stuff. I would try the UAE number if that is more promising.

7. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

8. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

It was all solved very amicably. I'm rerouted via Milan now. In the end it was their social media team who did the changes. I was actually pretty impressed how nice all could be solved. Generally it's not really a great response time if you're in a hurry (most likely due to the workload of the team), but if you have a bit time I would definitely recommend trying to solve problems via these channels

Gaurav likes this.
  9. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

10. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

Right now they're still not bookable from Tunis. I might try when they resume flights (if that's before my departure date), but generally the current solution is also fine for me. At least I will be able to shower on all legs and the menu out of MXP is different.

Gaurav and rickyw like this.
  11. SvenWpt

SvenWpt New Member

...but thanks a lot for the info (my inner German is always too impolite to think about thanking in the first place )

rickyw likes this.