ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

United Airlines Cancelation Policies

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by David56, Apr 18, 2017.

1. David56

David56 New Member

Hi,

I had booked a flight on United from San Francisco to Las Vegas for $29. Unfortunately, I have to change my departure date and United informed me that I could cancel my flight and pay $200 to rebook a flight with a $29 credit. So I said forget it and booked another flight. Now I was curious what will happen to my original flight if I do not cancel it? I have United Gold status and United told me that if I know I am not going to fly that day, I need to cancel the flight. However, I do not want to give United $29 for free by canceling my flight. Can I still receive MQMs if I do not cancel my flight?

2. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

If it's a legitimate one-time thing, just don't fly. Agreed, there is no point in cancelling when the fare was that low. I wouldn't make a habit of no-showing for flights as that is frowned upon by all airlines, but you should be fine here.

Unfortunately you won't receive any credit unless your boarding pass is actually scanned and you are on that flight

Tiffany and MidSouth Skier like this.
  3. David56

David56 New Member

Thanks ricky

Tiffany likes this.
  4. Georgio

Georgio New Member

If you don't cancel they'll just re-accomodate you.

5. David56

David56 New Member

Thanks Georgio. Should I still check in for the flight or just ask after the flight has passed?

6. Georgio

Georgio New Member

Not sure. I've never flown them, but that's what someone else told me. So don't exactly quote me on this one.

7. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I'd probably skip check in and not do anything else about the ticket. It's automatically voided and forfeited after you skip that flight anyway. You'd just be losing out on $29. That's better than paying the change fees or cancellation fees.