ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption UR portal vs transfer to United

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by DavidC13, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DavidC13

DavidC13 Reader

I am looking to book a flight to Europe using UR points. If I transfer to United it will 60,000pts + $140. Using the UR portal will be about 60,000pts. Is there a benefit using one over the other? At first glance it would make sense to save the $140, but wanted to ask if there's a drawback to using the UR portal. I tend to prefer to book directly with airline/hotel, etc.
    Thanks

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

If I'm understanding correctly, booking through the UR portal would be treated as a cash ticket, so you'd earn miles back (from United). Transferring to United would be a mileage redemption, so you wouldn't earn miles for the flight.

3. David C.

David C. New Member

Thanks for the info.