ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Industry News / Opinions Westin Snowmass Trying to Dodge Elite Benefits

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Alexander Favero, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Alexander Favero

Alexander Favero New Member

Hi All,

Was looking around for a hotel in Whistler when I noticed this notification above the available rooms.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.32.41 pm.png

Looks like a JW Marriott Guanacaste all over again! And even after Marriott said they would crack down on this! I swear... My 50+ nights a year may be heading to Hilton... Don't push me, Marriott!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Ben's take:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-hotels-playing-games/

I think this one is stranger than the Guanacaste one because this is a legacy SPG property...

My two cents, I'm not loyal to Marriott 75-100 nights per year because of the ability to get a complimentary upgrade. I say that while currently (happily) sitting in my room at a Marriott property in south Florida, paying $300+ per night in a room the size of a NYC studio apartment. I do it for things like late check-out, free breakfast, lounge access, and ability to redeem points across the world. So, a hotel refusing to honor complimentary upgrades wouldn't necessarily push me away. But, without a doubt, hotels going rogue is a slippery slope that I hope stops soon...