ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

What is the best Alliance to invest FF Miles on?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Nicholas, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Hi,

I recently moved to the states for my studies and I am planning to apply for Credit Cards that allows you to get bonus points. Quick question is, where should mostly credit my miles to. Currently through traveling I have miles scattered over SQ's KrisFlyer, AA's Advantage and Alaska's FF program.

For most of the time I will be flying from the West Coast to Singapore and/or Jakarta. Which of these alliances are generally generous when showing award flight seats? I would love to tentatively like to focus on stacking my miles up on SQ's KrisFlyer but since I recently just lost my Gold status, I am rethinking on where should I invest my FF miles on.

Thanks!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @Nicholas - is your primary goal finding award seats (and if so, in economy? business? first?) or gaining status with an airline or something else?

3. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Hey Midsouth Skier. My primary goal will probably be finding award seats in business class since most of my travels will be very long flights. I would say gaining status with an airline is a bonus!

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Maybe @Tiffany can chime in on which programs typically have the best business class availability to your destinations.

I will just caution you that if you haven't had US credit cards before, you *may* not be able to jump right in with the points-earning cards. If you don't have a credit history for the banks to be able to examine, they may not be willing to extend you the amount of credit needed to open one of these cards. You may want to start with one of the free cards (like Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited) that never has much of a sign-up bonus and start earning UR points. Although you won't be able to transfer those UR points to an airline (yet) you can use it to build a credit history. After, say, 6 months of paying that card on time you could apply for one of the premium UR cards and then you could combine your UR points and transfer them to an airline.

Of course the banks might gladly sign you up for the premium product, but I wanted to point out an alternative route, just in case.

Tiffany likes this.
  5. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

Hi Nicholas, also keep in mind if you are moving away from Singapore, the miles you've accumulated will expire after 36 months.

Not necessarily a reason to stick with Singapore, but definitely make sure you use what you've earned before walking away completely!

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  6. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Yep, I am completely aware of that! Just need advice on which Credit Card should I apply to and where should I invest my points on! Thanks for the information!

@rickyw I am completely aware of that and trying to hard to get award flights from SFO to SIN on my preferred date. SQ's award seat available is crazily unavailable.

rickyw likes this.
  7. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

If you are making the journey several times per year, it may be worthwhile to look at paid options as well. Aside from obviously earning miles, you could potentially find some cheap tickets.

Colombo is relatively close, in that at least you're on the same side of the world! Might be worth researching more if it makes sense for you to book some trips ex-Asia and then use your points the other direction.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/10/14/cheap-first-class-fares-colombo-sri-lanka/

8. freshthoughts

freshthoughts New Member

you should invest your points with a transferable currency like amex or SPG points.
    it is much smarter to build up points in flexible programs so that when the time comes to make a trip you can transfer the points to which program has the best availability.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Thank you very much for the information guys!

I already have a Bank of America that has been on for about 4 months and I used to have a Huntington Bank account that was active for 1 and a half year before I closed it down.

Will there by any luck if I apply for Alaska Airlines' Bank of America Credit Card?

Thanks for the heads up will definitely think about it.

10. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Really do appreciate the information. The problem is I hold an Indonesian passport and that it might be a trouble when it comes to looking at transit ports I might need to have certain visas (ie. Canada). Therefore it kinda limits my travel option as not to fly with Air Canada. Been trying to look for paid J class tickets that is reasonably priced that has a more 'reasonable' transit airports (ie. Hong Kong, Tokyo, Frankfurt, Seoul) however it is very hard to find reasonably priced tickets. Hahaha

11. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@Nicholas, As an Indonesian national, you do not need a visa to transit Canada if you've met certain criteria. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/twov/travellers.asp

You may want to consider splitting up your tickets. Generally, business class tickets that originate in Colombo, Sri Lanka are relatively cheap. From there, you can decide which airline you'd prefer to fly, where you can credit the miles and then make a decision.

rickyw likes this.
  12. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

I was given the wrong information then! Thank you very much for the much needed heads up!

May I ask which airline do you usually fly to Colombo from Jakarta? (If you've done that before). Whenever I am in Singapore I have the option to fly with Singapore Airlines directly. Also do Indonesian nationals need a pre-applied visa to Sri Lanka? I can't find any information anywhere in the internet so far.

13. David W

14. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

@David W

Cheers, thanks for the details. I will be moving to Seattle in a days and might want to ask further questions regarding the best available flights from here!

Thank you again!

15. David W

Welcome! I just moved to Seattle myself a few months ago.