ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Great Fares / Hot Deals Which airlines have reasonable cash upgrades to biz?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by ezikyle, Oct 23, 2017.

1. ezikyle

ezikyle Member

I'm looking to buy a 1 way ticket from either sri lanka, singapore or bangkok to Los Angeles after New Year and am curious what the upgrade charges are from economy to business class. Is it more cost effective to pay the business class fare from the get go or is it worth it to try to upgrade the day before/at the gate from an economy ticket? Which airlines are best for that?

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Most of the airlines flying Trans-PAC does not allow cash upgrades, or is horrible value.

Lots of European airlines do allow cash upgrades, but will not sell you an ticket from the West Coast to South East Asia or vice versa. You would have to position/connect from somewhere on the east coast for that.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

And finally a one-way J ticket starting in BKK or CMB would start around the $2K on good airlines, not sure if you would be able to book a one-way economy ticket and save much money paying for an upgrade.

Out of CMB Cathay will sell ticket for $2K, but you have book on their own website. The price will not show up on search engines.

ezikyle and Gia like this.