ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Why Are First Class Passengers Issued With Lethal Weapons Onboard Planes?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by A Consumer, Jan 8, 2018.

1. A Consumer

A Consumer New Member

Good day Lucky,

Thanks for setting up this website with its interesting articles and informative tips.

In response to your most recent article about Emirates' First Class 777-cabin, I posted a reply, which queried why First Class passengers are issued with potentially lethal weapons (stainless steel knives and forks), whilst I, holding an Economy Class ticket, was recently refused permission to carry onto a flight a small pair of round nosed scissors. Two of your other correspondents posted comments supporting my point of view - that providing passengers with steel knives onboard is potentially unsafe. Do you have an opinion about this - both from a safety point of view, and also a discriminatory one? I would love to hear it.

Regards,

John Lyon

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Because you are a serf traveling in 4 class/steerage?

The reason for plastic in economy is weight saving, rather than security.

And you can in the US carry on a pair of scissors.

From TSA.gov
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/scissors

Scissors

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    • Checked Bags: Yes

If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Might I ask where in the world you were banned bringing on a pair of scissors?

A Consumer likes this.
  3. No Name

Woodrow, A Consumer and rickyw like this.
  4. A Consumer

A Consumer New Member

Hello 'No Name',

The rules for Flybe passengers' carry on baggage apply to all passengers, be they ever so priviledged (like yourself, perhaps?) or just ordinary folk like me, in whichever class of cabin they sit.

The Restricted Baggage page of the Flybe.com website states "Prohibited articles: Prohibited articles include sharp items such as scissors, knives of any description.".

I was relieved of my short, round nosed scissors at a European regional airport. It appears that European countries' laws about weapons are rather more restrictive than those of the USA. I wonder if that is the reason why, per head of population, they have so many fewer murders?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. A Consumer

A Consumer New Member

Hello again 'No Name',

Thank you for providing the link to the TSA website. That was really helpful - lots of useful information about the US rules for items in baggage.

With regard to the cane-weilding man in the video, I reckon he'd have more success in the spacious surroundings of a First Class cabin, rather than in the cramped confines of the Economy section. I may go on travelling awhile longer with the poor people!

6. No Name

You need to learn to read more than just the headlines.

https://www.flybe.com/baggage/restricted-baggage/
    20. scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum.

Same with the Heathrow website
    https://www.heathrow.com/departures/security-and-baggage/hand-baggage-and-liquids#sharpitems
    Sharp items
    This includes knives (with blades over 6cm), razor blades, box cutters, scissors (with blades over 6cm from fulcrum)

Either it was just overcautious security personal at the airport you were traveling from, or you just look shifty as hell. Or maybe it was both.

A Consumer likes this.
  7. A Consumer

A Consumer New Member

There is a third possibility: that the French security staff at Bergerac airport don't pay much attention to other nations' airlines'/airports' security policies. My French language skills are not so good that I wanted to debate the issue, and risk being prevented from boarding my flight. As it was, we didn't land at Southampton until 22:25. Another hour, and I've had to have paid for an extra day's short-term parking - rather more than the cost of a pair of scissors, methinks!

8. No Name

More like the local security yahoos making their own rules.

From the website of Charles de Gaulle airport
    http://www.parisaeroport.fr/docs/de...o_liste-des-objets-interdit-en-cabine_en.pdf?

— scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum,

Same as LHR, might be EU standard.

Always shitty when security/airline staff make up their own rules when you are traveling on the last flight of the evening. Been there, done that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. Gia

Gia Active Member

I routinely fly premium cabin and the stainless steel knives that are used have rounded tips. I wouldn’t consider one of these knives or forks to be lethal weapons.

No Name likes this.