ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Industry News / Opinions Why are there no low-cost trans-Atlantic flights to Seattle or Vancouver?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Daniel437, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Daniel437

Daniel437 New Member

I recently moved to Seattle for work and was previously used to finding trans-Atlantic flights for under $500. No such luck here. Is there a specific reason why no low-cost carrier such as Norwegian, WOW Air or LEVEL have targeted the Seattle / Vancouver area?

I'm curious about the economics of choosing low-cost routes as well as specifics of these airports that perhaps make them less suitable. LH, BA, Virgin, Condor, Emirates (2x daily), and Icelandair seem to be doing fine in this market and ticket prices are quite high. I feel like Norwegian could make a killing in this market.

2. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

Up until last year, WOW only operated A320s and A321s, which don't have the range to fly to the West Coast. They did get a few A330s that now could make it to the Pacific Northwest, but those plans are all scheduled to Miami, SFO and LA. So until they get more long-range plans, it's just not possible to hit Seattle.

Norwegian however seems to have plenty of 787s that could make it! But they seem pretty busy establishing a solid base in and around New England recently. Maybe that will change in the near future once their Northeast "hubs" are established.

3. Gottafly

Gottafly New Member

If you want cheap tickets, try Condor, they fly 767s from Frankfurt to Seattle daily at cheap prices, Hope this helps! Otherwise delta usually has some good paid fares from Seattle to AMS and CDG.