ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Will AA award EQMs retroactively

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Sam zia, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Sam zia

Sam zia Reader

If I take a flight on BA on, say, Dec 28 2018 and do not put in my AA advantage number- and on Jan 3 2019 I file with AA for missing miles, will they award eqms at all? If so, will they count toward the 2018 year (which would have already passed) or the 2019 year?

2. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Member

AA will credit them for 2018, but best keep your BA boarding passes (to submit to AA if necessary).

Just curious why you are asking proactively?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  3. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

@OCTinPHL

He already have all the EQM he needs for 2018 and is hoping to jump start 2019?

4. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Member

Fair point. But experience tells me that AA will credit the EQMs when flown, not when submitted to AA. Agree?

Again, personal experience (flying on 12/30, 12/31, overnight to 1/1) tells me that trying to game the system just isn't worth it. If you have enough AA EQMs for 2018, try crediting them to BA (which is not on a calendar year for Tier points, I believe, but rather when you created your account) or IB.

5. No Name

Agreed.

Unless he needs Avios, he would be better of just crediting to AA. It's unlikely he would earn enough Tier Points to get status from just a few flights, plus you would need a few BA flights for status anyway. Tierpoints earned on other Oneworld airlines alone is not enough.

6. Rob in Miami

Rob in Miami Active Member

Yes, I was surprised when a British friend with BA program told me his BA Miles year ends on Dec 8th and not like our AA which ends (for All) on December 31st.

7. No Name

@Rob in Miami

The BA program uses a personal year based on when you joined, not calendar years.

I can end on Dec 8th or July 8th or what ever date you joined up on.